The circular white enamel dial with black Roman and Arabic chapters, inscribed “Etienne Lenoir” and at the bottom of the dial by the enameller Coteau, with striking movement contained within an rectangular ormolu and glass case, the dial surmounted by a garland of flowers and fruit held by a ribbon, the gilt bronze case being crowned by foliage, a trophy quiver, arrows, wreaths of roses and olive branches, the case resting on a base of white marble decorated with a frieze of myrtle leaves and raised on ormolu toupie feet. The back plate is signed by Etienne Lenoir and numbered no. 557.
Etienne Lenoir and his son Pierre-Etienne worked together from 1743 when the latter ecame a master, and established themselves shortly afterwards in the quai des Orfevres in the parish of St. Barthelemy. Tardy comments that it is impossible to differentiate between clocks made by them as they both signed their work in several different ways; “Etienne le Noir”, Estienne le Noir” and “Etienne Lenoir”. They are known to have supplied clocks to the marchand-mercier Lazare Duvaux and Madame de Pompadour purchased several clocks containing movements made by them, including one, which cost 1,080 livres, which she gave to the Princess of Naples.