This rectangular bureau inlaid with floral marquetry is raised on eight curved legs of rectangular section, which are connected by two flat, interlaced stretchers. In the middle of the front is a recessed drawer, and to either side are tiers of three drawers with convex fronts. Having a shaped apron below each tier of drawers and the central cupboard.
Sold in Paris auction, Palais Galliera with Philippe and Jean-Paul Couturier 1st June 1967
Galerie Fabius Freres
Pierre Golle was born in Holland and moved to Paris at an early age. By 1645 he had married the daughter of a cabinet maker, Adrian Garbran and took over the responsibility of running the workshop when his father in law died in 1650. He invented the technique of decorating furniture with marquetry of tortoiseshell and brass which was subsequently used by his son in law Andre-Charles Boulle. Before being taken under the Royal Patronage in 1656 Golle had worked for Cardinal Mazarin for whom this desk is named for. From 1662, he supplied marquetry cabinets and numerous other pieces of case furniture for the King and the Grand Dauphin at Versailles and other royal châteaux, the most expensive of which were several cabinets delivered at the outstanding sum of 6000 livres a piece. He was related to the Huguenot designer Daniel Marot both by being married to Pierre Golle’s brother’s daughter and by being the son of his wife’s sister. Pierre Golle son emigrated after the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 and by 1689 was working with the London cabinetmaker Gerrit Jensen, supplying marquetry furniture in the latest Parisian taste to the court of William and Mary.
Although marquetry Bureau Mazarin are extremely rare five other similar ones, some with replaced legs and stretchers were in the Mentmore sale in 1977. Other original works by Pierre Golle can be seen at Knole House, which were probably diplomatic gifts made by Louis XIV to Lord Sackville, the English Ambassador. Boughton House, the Royal Collection and the J Paul Getty Museum.
Daniel Marot who was born in Paris was a French Protestant who was an architect, furniture designer and engraver. The family were Hugenots and left France in the year of the Edict of Fontainebleau and Revocation of the Edict of Nantes in (1685) to settle in Holland. Daniel Marot brought the fully developed court style of Louis XIV to Holland, and later to London. In the end, the English style which is loosely called "William and Mary" owed much to his manner.
In the Netherlands Marot was employed by the Stadthouder, who later became William III of England; in particular, he is associated with designing interiors in the palace Het Loo, from 1684 on. In 1694, he travelled with William to London, where he was appointed one of his architects and Master of Works. In England his activities appear to have been concentrated at Hampton Court Palace, where he designed the garden parterres and much of the furniture. In his engraved designs, Marot's range was extraordinarily wide. He designed practically every detail in the internal ornamentation of the house: carved chimney pieces, plaster ceilings, panels for walls, girandoles and wall brackets, and side tables with their pairs of tall stands. He designed gold and silver plate. The craze for collecting china which was at its height in his time is illustrated in his lavish designs for receptacles for porcelain: in one of his plates there are more than 300 pieces of china on the chimney-piece alone.
After William's death Marot returned to Holland where he lived out his life. We owe much of our knowledge of his work to the folio volume of his furniture designs published at Amsterdam in 1712. Not surprisingly the designs show strong French and Dutch influences; what reads as their "English" look is more probably the result of Marot's court style on other London designers.